My new Macintosh fascination

by Mitch on 7/03/2005

Somewhere along my path to righteousness, my iPod has lead me astray. For years now I have preached my love for a *nix command line or a basic windows shell, but the lure of the polished and complete Powerbook with OSX is just so tempting. I’ve long wanted to have some form of Macintosh to be able to do all my graphics work on them, but the more time I spend with my iPod and see the sleek Macintosh devices, the more I could see myself actually using it for a little more than that.

It seems to me that the special thing about Macintosh is their finish. Their products don’t do anything major that other products can’t do, and sure they cost more, but it’s the sleek finish of their devices that are so appealing. Everything about their devices fit in with each other. It’s not like buying a PC where your hardware comes from numerous manufacturors and you don’t know about hardware conflicts until they are in the system (please, don’t even mention premade shit to me to counter this argument – Dell, Acer and all their rivals couldn’t make a PC is their lives depended on it), Macs come with beautiful and powerful setup and everything flows into the next thing nicely.

My plans for the future are to get a super nice (and most likely, super expensive) Powerbook, and set up a Wireless network. I basically want my house to be one big WiFi hotspot so that I am no longer limited to my desk – I mean, what is the point of a notebook you can’t work on the lounge with, right? I guess one of the beauties of having a stable paycheck now is that rather than saying “some time in the future” when talking about these things, I am actually looking at making the things happen.

I’m such a geek. I am scared to become an apple geek.

No comments yet.

1. 7/03/2005phalacee says:

w00t!

Mac are teh secks …

I agree with you that a Mac is a superior pre-built system, but I have to disagree about Acer. My first computer was an Acer. Pentium 166 MMX. Most stable system I’ve ever owned. Its now my *nix box. Of course, it doesn’t run a heavy-gui, but then, when all you want is a stable system to experiment on, its ample. But yeah, Dell, IBM, HP, they blow. Acer though, it depends on the vendor.

Nothing wrong with applegeeks. I’d be on if I could afford it 😛

2. 7/03/2005Mitch Malone says:

That system is one in a million then matie, because in my experience Acer are one of the worst.

I knew you’d enjoy reading that I am interested in a Mac, I bet you take as much pleasure in knowing that I am falling in love with the Apple brand as I felt when I converted my friends to Firefox. :)

3. 8/03/2005The Backflipboy says:

While you converted me over to FireFox which runs rather well except for one or two small niggling issues with the bookmarks, I won’t be kneeling at the altar of Macworld in the near future.

On another note, I see you have the word BONT in your avatar. Check this out:

4. 8/03/2005Mitch Malone says:

On a scale of sucks, I rate that kind of high. I thought my “bont” nickname, given to me by Diny was pretty original… I’ll sue!

5. 8/03/2005The Backflipboy says:

It was just a fluke of a chance that I saw a car with the word BONT all over it and the web address. It aroused my curiousity.

6. 9/03/2005OneNonly says:

My next machine will be a Mac too. Not because I like their hardware – but because the OS will let me do everything I can on *nix – and have slightly better support for hardware.

While I love using linux – hell, I use Gentoo on all my workstations, I don’t always have the time to get new stuff going. With OS X I can still screw around if I want to – but don’t always have to.

/me just looks forward to Portage for OS X improving :)

7. 9/03/2005Mitch Malone says:

Yeah, that is all so true… I’m excited, I think I am going to get a powerbook later this year! 😀